Wednesday, September 17, 2014

How to Make Leaves-the easy and less expensive way

Hello! Niki here a.k.a Pawsitively Creative.  Today is my first time on the blog as a DT member. Yippee! I created this canvas for my first DT project here at Mixed Media Mojo and wanted to share a brief tutorial about making leaves without a die cutting machine.

Not everyone has a die cutting machine, or the extra money to spend on one. So here is an easy way to make leaves without it. I used a die cutting machine for some of the leaves in my project (thanks to my hubby for an awesome anniversary gift in August) but also used these hand created leaves as well. 

First cut out a piece of paper to form a perfect square. I did mine as a 3x3 inch. Fold the paper diagonally BOTH ways to create an X in the middle of the square. Turn your paper square over and do the same to the back. (This is the black lines in the picture, you don't have to make the lines black. I did so that you could see where my folds were)


Now comes the fun part. Starting at any corner fold a small section over to make a pleat. Continue to fold your paper until you get your leaf the size you want it (the more folds-the bigger the leaf)



When you have all your folds done bring the paper edges of the corner together. 


It should look like the picture above. Apply glue to the inside edges that meet (any glue works as long as it dries fast). 



Now cut your new leaf from the remaining paper. Make sure that you don't cut too close to the bottom of your leaf that is still attached because it will cut the folds in your leaf. 



Viola! You have a pretty little leaf made by hand that you can use on your project for Mixed Media Mojo's September Challenge-Fall theme using Paste. 

The picture above shows 2 leaves that were made from the same paper. You could make 2 more leaves with the remaining corners.

I hope you try this and let me know how it goes. Feel free to ask any questions if you run into a problem or something is confusing. The DT is here to help in any way we can. Carpe Diem! ~Niki












8 comments:

  1. I am one of those lucky people who does have a Silhouette Cameo - but this does help when you do not have one available. Thanks for sharing.

    Barb Housner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Die cutting machines do come in handy. I just had to think outside the box when I didn't have one. Makes for some interesting projects!

      Delete
  2. These look interesting. I am going to have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MariLynn-give it a go! I can't wait to see what your leaves look like! Let me know if you need any help. ~Niki

      Delete
  3. Really nice leaves Niki! So fun having alternate ways to create :)
    ~kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kim! Hoping to see others try this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I don't have any kind of cutter, I found this technique really helpful. Thanks for your nice comment on my bee box and for inviting me over yo play here, too. Since this month is almost over, I'll keep a lookout for the next challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome and we can't wait to see what you create. Loved your bees and everything else as well. ~Niki

      Delete